Round 2 of Pumpkin Mania here on the blog, straight from your childhood lunch box: Pumpkin Rice Crispy Treats. Yesssssss.
Whoa, we’re already halfway through October. When did that happen? Overnight I went from tanks and smoothie bowls to needing a sweater and a warm bowl of oatmeal. Mmm, that sounds cozy.
I see lots of oatmeal, roasted squash, dark greens, and chai lattes in my near future. Oh, and PUMPKIN. How could I forget? Last week we kicked off pumpkin season on Emilie Eats with this ahhhhh-mazing Pumpkin Pie Dessert Pizza, which you seriously need to check out if you missed it.
Now we’re getting a little snack-y with rice crispy treats. Yes, we’re all 9 years old right now.
Were you a fan of Rice Crispies Treats? My mom didn’t really buy us junk food too often (thank you, Mom!), so we never had them around the house much. Our lunch box treats looked more like sliced fruit or the very rare 100-calorie pack of brownies.
I vividly remember biting into some homemade rice crispy treats that someone had brought to the house and saying, “Wow, these are so much better than the original!” What can I say – I’ve always had a taste for real good cookin.’
While I’m sure those homemade ones were packed with marshmallows and butter and refined sugar, at least they weren’t full of nasty AF preservatives and trans fat like the ones in those shiny blue packages. BUT we’re going even further and making some from real, plant-based ingredients.
And then throwing in some pumpkin… ’cause fall. 🍂
Ever since I made these dark chocolate cherry almond granola bars which absolutely require brown rice syrup, the sad jar of syrup has been staring at me from the pantry. “Use me!” But in what? I wasn’t really sure what else I could do with brown rice syrup, since it is super duper thick and goopy. Then I thought of rice crispy treats…and pumpkin…and these babies were born!
If you’re hesitant about buying a jar of brown rice syrup, don’t be – just think about how many batches of pumpkin rice crispy treats you’ll be able to make this fall. Yep, it’s worth it.
All it takes is some of that syrup, some brown rice crisps (I love these), pure pumpkin, and a hint of spice & everything nice. Then grab your coziest socks, a warm cup of tea, and dig in!
I’d love to hear all about the pumpkin goodies you’re enjoying this fall. I want to try some more! I’m definitely making some pumpkin bread soon – call me obsessed. Hey, it’s a vegetable!
Any pumpkin recipes you want to see on the blog? Let me know!
These rice crispy treats would make a great lunch box treat if you have kids, or really for anyone! If you get to try these out, snap a pic, post it on Instagram, and tag me @emilieeats! Your pictures and comments make my day brighter. 🙂
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- ⅓ cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups brown rice crisps
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with foil or wax/parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, add brown rice syrup, pumpkin puree, and molasses. Whisk to combine; microwave for 15-30 seconds if needed. Add vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir thoroughly.
- Add brown rice crisps to a large bowl. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl while stirring. Combine the ingredients with a wooden spoon until the crisps are evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into the lined pan. Top with another sheet of parchment paper, then press the mixture firmly into the pan until it's an even thickness throughout. You want it to be really packed in the pan.
- Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. When ready to eat, let them sit at room temperature for a few minutes, slice, and enjoy!
10 Days to Your Plant-Powered Kitchen: A FREE Email Challenge!
Learn the basics of plant-based cooking, pantry staples & more! Get inspired to be your healthiest self through 10 days of FREE emails with helpful tips & recipes!