Take summer grilling season to the next level with these Taco Style Veggie Dogs! Served on whole-wheat buns and made with veggie dogs, they’re a great meatless option to serve to a crowd. (vegan) In partnership with Lightlife!
Hi from Denver! I’m here spending the 4th of July week with Cayden (he’s in Denver for a summer internship), and we are having a BLAST! His apartment is right in the middle of the downtown, so we’re able to walk to the grocery store, the gym, restaurants, bars, you name it. City life is calling me.
Another thing that’s calling me is one of these Taco Style Veggie Dogs. Can someone please make them and ship them to Denver so I can stuff my face with them?! Thanks in advance.
Plain ole ketchup and mustard? Things of the past. Okay, okay… I’m being a little dramatic. We still love a classic veggie dog with ketchup and mustard. BUT, would you turn down a veggie dog / taco fusion? I didn’t think so.
The stars of these Taco Style Veggie Dogs are the dogs, of course. Not your average hot dogs—Lightlife Smart Dogs, which are totally vegan and taste just like juicy, classic hot dogs, but without all that saturated fat or cholesterol. Can I get a hell yes?
Use Lightlife’s store locator to find their Smart Dogs (regular or jumbo!) at a store near you.
I’m really excited to partner with Lightlife this year to showcase their plant-based products in my recipes and celebrate their brand, which has been prioritizing plants and sustainability before that was ~cool~.
Back to the veggie dogs. I boiled the Smart Dogs because unfortunately, I don’t have a grill, but if you do have one, grill ‘em! I served them on whole-wheat buns and topped them with all of our favorite taco toppers:
- Jalapeño (omit for kids or if you don’t like spicy!)
- Cashew queso!
Feel free to add anything else: sauteed fajita vegetables, pickled vegetables, vegan sour cream or whatever your heart desires!
Taco Style Veggie Dogs
Take summer grilling season to the next level with these Taco Style Veggie Dogs! Served on whole-wheat buns and made with veggie dogs, they’re a great meatless option to serve to a crowd. (vegan)
- 1 package Lightlife Smart Dogs
- 8 whole-wheat hot dog buns
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- ½ cup salsa
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
For the cashew queso:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 teaspoon miso paste (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook Lightlife Smart Dogs according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add cashews and carrots; boil for 10 minutes, then drain. To a blender, add cashews, carrots and the remaining cashew queso ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- On the buns, layer lettuce, avocado slices and jalapeño slices. Add a Lightlife Smart Dog to each bun. Top with 1 tablespoon salsa, a drizzle of cashew queso and chopped cilantro on each bun.
Thanks to Lightlife for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands whose products I really love and would honestly recommend. Thank you for supporting this blog that I love oh-so-much!