When the weather radar shows a ginormous strip of torrential rain headed your way, you obviously make chai lattes. Vegan chai lattes.
I haven’t always been a chai fan. I think my first few chai teas were really peppery and turned me off completely; I never wanted to taste chai tea again. Boy, would I have missed out.
Since those awful chai experiences, I’ve seen the light and come to the chai side. Turns out if you get the spices right and sweeten it perfectly, you have something in your cup that’s irresistibly tasty and perfect for cold, rainy nights. Or basically any night ever because they’re SO good.
It starts with the perfect blend of spices. I made a pretty big batch of chai mix because I wanted leftovers to throw in smoothies, cookies, and obviously, more chai lattes. But if you don’t want that much spice mix, you’re crazy. Jk, just halve the recipe and you’ll have less leftover. Feel free to adjust the level of each spice based on your preferences!
Then come the lattes yayyyy. These are simple to make and don’t have any of the syrups or refined sugar like the ones at your favorite coffee shop *cough* Starbucks *cough.* Oh, did I say that out loud? My bad.
Simply steep the tea and spices in hot water, divide into two mugs, sweeten, and add the milk. I went for canned coconut milk because it’s super thick and makes the lattes unbelievably creamy. The coconut flavor is very subtle, masked by the chai spice, but you can opt for any non-dairy milk of your choosing, like almond, flax, or soy. Either way, it’s creamy dreamy vegan chai latte heaven✨
This recipe makes two lattes, but if you’re feeding a crowd, you can definitely increase the recipe to accommodate everyone. I think these lattes would be a perfect after-stuffing-your-face-with-Thanksgiving-dinner drink; they’re sweet, comforting, and perfect while sitting around the fireplace with your loved ones.
If you try the chai spice mix or vegan chai lattes, let me know how they turn out! Have a good weekend everyone!
- For the Chai Spice Mix (yields ⅓ cup):
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- For the Vegan Chai Lattes:
- 2 cups water
- 2 black tea bags
- 2 tablespoons chai spice mix (see above)
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (light or full-fat), or other non-dairy milk
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients until fully combined. Store in an airtight plastic bag or glass jar.
- In a small saucepan, place water, tea bags, and 2 tablespoons chai spice mix. Bring to a boil; put the lid on, remove from heat, and let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and stir. Pour equally into two mugs. Sweeten with 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup in each latte.
- Pour ½ cup milk into each mug; stir until well combined. Garnish with coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of spice mix.
- *Optional: Instead of pouring the tea into two mugs, pour the maple syrup and coconut milk into the pot and warm over low heat. Then separate the mix into two mugs and serve.