These Wild Rice and Tempeh Stuffed Acorn Squash make a delicious, plant-based side dish for your holiday table! The squash feature pomegranate for a bit of sweetness and a drizzle of tahini to top everything off. In partnership with Lightlife.
Another holiday recipe woohoo!! I actually don’t share that many holiday recipes each year because I feel like most of us have our staples that we stick to each season. Even if you don’t eat meat anymore (bye, turkey!), you still might buy a plant-based roast and make the classics like green bean casserole, cornbread, and pumpkin pie.
But hey, if you’re looking for a new dish to add to your festive holiday table, you’ve come to the right place!
For the past couple years, my grandma has been cooking roasted squash and wild rice pilaf to fill up the plant-eaters in the fam. This year, I combined those two delicious foods into one to make these Wild Rice and Tempeh Stuffed Acorn Squash!
The ingredient list is super simple for this recipe: acorn squash, wild rice, Lightlife Organic Flax Tempeh, pomegranate arils (for little bits of sweetness and juiciness), cilantro, and tahini – because nothing is complete without a drizzle of tahini. Feel free to replace acorn squash with butternut squash or even scooped-out sweet potatoes!
Tempeh is one of my favorite plant-based proteins because it is fermented (yay for healthy guts!) and has a very meaty texture that is sure to please both carnivores and plant-eaters at your holiday table. Don’t you love how good food can bring us together?
If you’re looking for other plant-based products to incorporate into your holiday dishes, here are some ideas using Lightlife products:
- Gimme Lean Sausage. Use to replace sausage in stuffing!
- Smart Bacon. Use in stuffing or with sautéed green beans!
- Smart Tenders Savory Chick’n. Sauté and serve alongside mashed potatoes, gravy, and vegetables.
- Smart Deli Veggie Turkey Slices. Use to create the ultimate plant-based holiday leftovers sandwich!
Let me know how these Wild Rice and Tempeh Stuffed Acorn Squash turn out if you decide to serve them this holiday season!
Wild Rice and Tempeh Stuffed Acorn Squash
These Wild Rice and Tempeh Stuffed Acorn Squash make a delicious, plant-based side dish for your holiday table! The squash feature pomegranate for a bit of sweetness and a drizzle of tahini to top everything off.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: Sides & Appetizers
- 2 medium acorn squash*
- Oil for cooking
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 package Lightlife Organic Flax Tempeh
- Arils of 1 pomegranate (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Halve each acorn squash from stem to the bottom*. Scoop out the seeds and stringy pieces. Rub each half with a bit of oil. Place on a baking sheet; bake for 50-55 minutes, until fork tender.
- Add wild rice and 3 cups water to a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 40-45 minutes. Let sit with the cover on for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm a bit of oil. Crumble tempeh into the saucepan; cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring, until crispy.
- In a large bowl, add cooked rice, tempeh, pomegranate arils, cilantro, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Stuff the hollows of each acorn squash half with filling. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Top each half with a tablespoon of tahini drizzle and chopped cilantro.
*To make cutting the squash easier, microwave each squash for 3 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then halve.
Thanks to Lightlife for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands whose products I really love and would honestly recommend. Thank you for supporting this blog that I love oh-so-much!