These BBQ Jackfruit Tacos make a delicious 30-minute vegan dinner! Jackfruit replicates the texture of pulled pork to satisfy all eaters. Try something new with this healthy weeknight dinner idea!
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
Back at ya with the recipe of the (late) summer: BBQ jackfruit tacos! These jackfruit sandwiches are a reader favorite, so I knew I needed to put another spin on that recipe.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is the fruit of the jack tree grown in tropical areas like southeast Asia and India. Canned jackfruit is considered young jackfruit. Since it hasn’t matured, it doesn’t have a sweet taste like the mature fruit.
Also, when you mash young jackfruit from a can (in water or brine), its texture resembles shredded pork or chicken.
However, keep in mind that jackfruit is not a protein source. Even if you’re using jackfruit to replace meat, you also need to include a protein source like beans to create a balanced meal.
What ingredients are in BBQ Jackfruit Tacos? Where can I buy jackfruit?
Aside from the jackfruit, the ingredients in these BBQ jackfruit tacos are simple and can be found at any grocery store. I usually buy jackfruit at Asian markets, Whole Foods, or online shops.
Next, we’re adding black beans to this vegan jackfruit recipe because even though jackfruit can mimic meat texture, it’s not a protein source – it’s a fruit, after all!
Lastly, free to use corn or flour tortillas here (I know people feel very strongly about their choice of tortilla).
How Can I Cook Jackfruit?
When used to replace the texture of meat, jackfruit is usually cooked in a sauce with spices. In these BBQ jackfruit tacos, I start with a sautéed onion for flavor then add the jackfruit, vegan BBQ sauce, and spices.
Next, I like to cook the jackfruit uncovered for 10 minutes, then covered for another 10 minutes. I find that the covered cooking gets the jackfruit really tender! Also, if your BBQ jackfruit gets stuck to the bottom of the pan, just add a little more water.
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
These BBQ Jackfruit Tacos make a delicious 30-minute vegan dinner! Jackfruit replicates the texture of pulled pork to satisfy all eaters.
- 1 14-ounce can green jackfruit in water or brine
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Drain and rinse jackfruit.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil. When hot, add onion; cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Add garlic; cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the jackfruit, BBQ sauce, and 1/4 cup water. Stir and cover; turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes, then stir again, adding more water if needed. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, shred the jackfruit until it resembles pulled pork. Add smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Add black beans; stir.
- Add BBQ jackfruit to corn tortillas. Top with cabbage, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 123.4
- Sugar: 5.2
- Sodium: 398.98
- Fat: 2.99
- Saturated Fat: 0.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.94
- Trans Fat: 0.01
- Carbohydrates: 21.8
- Fiber: 4.4
- Protein: 3.6
- Cholesterol: 0