This Olive and Garlic Focaccia is a delicious addition to any dinner table and is done in 2 hours. It’s made with spelt flour, which adds whole grains without sacrificing the classic fluffiness of focaccia bread. In partnership with One Degree Organics!
Olive and Garlic Focaccia
Where my bread lovers at?! If you consider yourself a connoisseur of all things bread, you are going to LOVE this olive and garlic focaccia.
It’s fluffy, just the right amount of salty, and filled with so much garlic flavor. Eat it on its own, dipped into soup, or as sandwich bread!
What is Focaccia?
Focaccia is an Italian bread similar to pizza dough. It’s known for the indentations on the top of the bread, typically brushed with olive oil and topped with salt.
Classic focaccia bread is simply flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar, and olive oil. However, you can mix a variety of different flavors into focaccia bread, such as: garlic, olives, rosemary, and potato, or even sweet ingredients like cinnamon, figs, and orange.
For this garlic focaccia bread recipe, pungent garlic and salty Kalamata olives add tons of flavor.
Making Garlic Focaccia with One Degree Organics
Traditionally, you would make focaccia bread with all-purpose flour. For this olive and garlic focaccia, we’re using Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour from One Degree Organics! Spelt is a whole-grain ancient variety of wheat that One Degree Organics sprouts to enhance nutrition and improve digestibility.
One of the reasons I love spelt flour is because it adds whole grains to whatever you’re cooking without sacrificing fluffiness. I find it to be the best whole grain substitute for all-purpose flour. If you love using spelt flour for baked goods, check out my banana chia almond butter muffins!
If you’re not sure about using all spelt flour for this garlic focaccia, no worries – use half spelt flour and half all-purpose flour.
You can guarantee you’re getting a quality product when you shop One Degree Organics. This family-run company goes to amazing lengths to ensure their products are good for you, good for farmers, and good for the planet. All ingredients used in One Degree Organics products are made using only plant-based farming methods!
Find where to buy One Degree Organics products near you!
How to Make This Focaccia Bread Recipe
This focaccia bread recipe is a great beginner bread recipe. You can make it within 2 hours, with minimal kneading and no fancy equipment!
Here are the basic steps to make this garlic focaccia:
- Make the olive-and-garlic-infused olive oil.
- Activate the yeast with sugar and warm water.
- Add the remaining ingredients to make the dough. Knead the dough just a few times.
- First rise: let the dough rest for 1 hour.
- Place dough in a baking dish and use your fingers to dimple the dough. This is the fun part!
- Second rise: let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake, slice, and enjoy!
Olive and Garlic Focaccia
This Olive and Garlic Focaccia is a delicious addition to any dinner table and is done in 2 hours. It’s made with spelt flour, which adds whole grains without sacrificing the classic fluffiness of focaccia bread.
For the olive-garlic olive oil:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 3 tablespoons Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
For the focaccia:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100ºF)
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active-dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour from One Degree Organics
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Coarse or flaked salt
- In a small pan over low-medium heat, add all ingredients for the olive-garlic olive oil. Let gently simmer for 5 minutes. Ensure that the garlic does not burn. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and water. Sprinkle yeast on top. Gently stir once. Set aside for 5 minutes. The yeast should have foamed up; if not, your yeast is dead, and you will need to restart this step with live yeast.
- To the bowl, add spelt flour, olive-garlic olive oil, and salt. Gently stir until the dough is just combined, about 5-10 stirs.
- Oil a large bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place dough in the bowl; set aside in a warm area of your kitchen for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Oil a 9×13-inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place dough in the pan; use your fingers to dimple the dough while evenly distributing the dough in the pan. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons olive oil on top; dimple the dough to gently press the olive oil into the dough. Top with coarse or flaked salt. Set aside for 30 minutes to let the dough rise.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Thanks to One Degree Organics for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands whose products I really love and would honestly recommend. Thank you for your support!