“Did I really make these? How did I do this? Were these sent from the heavens?” Those were my exact thoughts as I took my first bite into these perfect fluffy, round, sweet blueberry cornbread muffins. There really is no better way to describe them than completely magical.
If you make any recipe this week, please let it be these muffins.
These muffins were actually supposed to be blueberry cornbread pancakes (totally trying that next), then just normal cornbread, then I decided on muffins. I was worried they wouldn’t rise into beautiful muffin tops, then I looked in the oven and was like HOT DAMN those are the prettiest muffins I’ve ever made.
Truth is, I’m not that confident in my baking abilities. Sure, I’ve been baking cakes and brownies and breads since I was tall enough to reach the counter, but those were all from recipes. Baking truly is a science; the leaveners, dry ingredients and wet ingredients and the proportions of all of those are extremely important if you don’t want your baked goods to end up in the trash.
That was my biggest worry when I started a blog. It wasn’t the tech stuff or the photography or the social media – all of that I can learn. But how the heck do I learn how to create recipes?? In my experience, you just throw some stuff into a bowl with a lot of positivity and hope for the best. And sometimes the best will happen AKA THESE MUFFINS. 😍
[Tweet “Hot damn these muffins are magical – Blueberry Cornbread Muffins (vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)”]
Just a few simple vegan & gluten-free ingredients will give you the softest, fluffiest, most perfectly sweet cornbread muffin. I love to have a couple for breakfast or munch on one as a snack, but I’m for sure baking these for the fam for Thanksgiving! Until then, I’m hoarding all of these babies for myself.
I know I say this about every recipe, but you guys neeeeeeed these blueberry cornbread muffins. I freaked out about them on Instagram stories (check me out there!) and still can’t believe how delicious they turned out. If you get to bake them, let me know how you like them! Leave a comment, shoot me an email, or post a picture on Instagram and tag me @emilieeats & #emilieeats!
I love you babes as much as I love these muffins!!
Blueberry Cornbread Muffins (vegan & gluten-free)
Fluffy and sweet, these Blueberry Cornbread Muffins make a healthy breakfast or light side dish! They’re vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and totally tasty.
- 1 tablespoon flax meal + 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups organic fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oat flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin pan or line with muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, add flax meal and water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add milk and vinegar; stir. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add cornmeal, oat flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- To the bowl with the milk, add flax mixture, applesauce, sugar and vanilla; stir to combine. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Add blueberries; stir to incorporate.
- Scoop the batter into each muffin cup until each is almost full. I made 9 muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Enjoy for breakfast, a snack, or as a side dish. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
*To make oat flour, simply blend rolled oats in a blender or food processor until a fine flour forms.
Pin these muffins to make later!