This Creamy Vegan Polenta with Mushrooms and Beans is an easy 30-minute dinner packed with whole grains, plant protein, and vegetables. Leftovers make great lunches! In partnership with Pompeian! #TrendingInTheKitchen ❤️
Do you say polenta or grits? Are they the same thing? These are the questions that keep me up at night.
Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration. But I truly don’t know if it’s correct to call this dish polenta since I grew up eating GRITS. Not polenta. I swear I didn’t hear that word until college.
We usually had grits for breakfast with butter, cheese, salt, and pepper (which you could totally vegan-ize with vegan butter and cheese!). I never had shrimp and grits, which is a traditional Southern dish. But I guarantee you that we do not call it shrimp and polenta.
I hope this grits/polenta question is not polarizing. I also hope I’m somewhat correct in calling this creamy vegan polenta and not creamy vegan grits.
Either way, this is one delicious dish you need to add to your dinner rotation!
It’s done in 30 minutes and has a good balance of carbs, protein, and fat. That’s a requirement for every meal I make! Having a mix of all three keeps you satisfied and feeling 💯💯💯.
I’m really excited to share with you that I’m partnering with Pompeian again in 2018 for their #TrendingInTheKitchen campaign! They make high-quality oils and vinegars (some organic) that are affordable and accessible at most grocery stores.
I was honored to work with Pompeian last year and beyond excited when they asked me to create some more recipes this year! Here are some recipes we collaborated on last year:
- Grilled Vegetable Portobello Mushroom Tacos
- Turmeric Baked Falafel
- Classic Cajun Vegan Jambalaya
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Stay tuned for more recipes using Pompeian! Any requests??
This month Pompeian asked me to feature mushrooms in a hearty meal, and I think this creamy vegan polenta with mushrooms and beans fits the bill! It’s warm and comforting, but also full of fiber and vegetables. The mushrooms add a “meatiness” to the dish that make it even more filling!
I used Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the polenta to add rich flavor and creaminess and Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar in the sautéed vegetables. The vinegar caramelizes as you cook it with the mushrooms!
Do you say grits or polenta? I desperately need to know, so let me know in the comments. Once you’ve done that, run to the grocery store so you can make this creamy vegan polenta ASAP!
Creamy Vegan Polenta with Mushrooms and Beans
This Creamy Vegan Polenta with Mushrooms and Beans is an easy 30-minute dinner packed with whole grains, plant protein, and vegetables. Leftovers make great lunches!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Meals
- 1 cup yellow corn grits or cornmeal
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, add grits and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Alternatively, cook according to package directions.
- To the grits, add non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and turmeric. Stir; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm a greased medium skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until mushrooms are tender and slightly browned. Add Pompeian Organic Balsamic Vinegar, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until vinegar has thickened.
- Add white beans and spinach; cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring, until spinach is wilted.
- Serve bean and mushroom mixture over polenta. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
Thanks to Pompeian for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands whose products I really love and would honestly recommend. Thank you for supporting this blog that I love oh-so-much!
10 Days to Your Plant-Powered Kitchen: A FREE Email Challenge!
Learn the basics of plant-based cooking, pantry staples & more! Get inspired to be your healthiest self through 10 days of FREE emails with helpful tips & recipes!