Looking for easy vegan dinner ideas? This White Beans and Rice recipe is packed with big, authentic Cajun flavors and is done in 30 minutes! In partnership with Success Rice (originally published November 10, 2020).
Vegan Cajun White Beans and Rice
Nothing reminds me of home more than the aroma of a pot of Cajun beans simmering on the stove. Growing up in the bayous of Louisiana, beans and rice were nearly daily staples.
I know a lot of people probably think beans and rice are one of the most basic, boring things you can eat, but that doesn’t have to be the case, y’all. These delicious White Beans and Rice will prove that to you!
This post is in partnership with Success Rice, who challenged me to develop a recipe inspired by where I’m from! Nothing says home to me more than beans and rice. Many versions can take hours to get the depth of flavor just right. But we’re making a quick weeknight version of Cajun beans, so we’re using Success Rice Boil-in-Bag White Rice to get dinner on the table even faster. When you take your first bite, you’ll be shocked that it only took you 30 minutes to develop all that flavor.
Ingredients for White Beans and Rice
The key to making Cajun white beans and rice in under 30 minutes is leaning on ready-made ingredients! Rice can take a long time to cook, and honestly it’s always a little harder than you expect to nail the ratios to get it just right. I love that the Success Rice Boil-in-Bag white rice comes out perfectly every single time in just 10 minutes! We’re also using canned white beans, which saves us so much time. No overnight soaking, and no simmering for hours on end. But I promise there isn’t a shortage of flavor!
Here’s everything you’ll need to make these Cajun white beans:
- Success Rice Boil-in-Bag White Rice. We’re using two bags to make 4-6 servings, so feel free to scale up or down as needed.
- Oil. You can use olive oil or a neutral vegetable oil.
- Yellow onion. The start to all good savory recipes. This is part of the Cajun holy trinity, which acts as the base of flavor for our white beans.
- Celery. Another key to the Cajun holy trinity to add lots of savory, vegetal flavor!
- Green bell pepper. The last part of the holy trinity!
- Garlic. I highly recommend using fresh garlic cloves for the best flavor.
- Canned white beans. Canned beans are the key to getting this recipe done in 30 minutes.
- Vegetable broth. Bouillon, store-bought stock or homemade would all be perfect!
- Seasonings. You’ll want bay leaves, paprika, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper to pack in all that big Cajun flavor you’re looking for in these white beans and rice.
How to Make this White Beans and Rice Recipe
Traditionally, Cajun white beans are made with dry beans. First, you’d soak the beans overnight. Then, the next day, you’d saute your vegetables down (for longer than you think), add your beans, and simmer for hours.
Thankfully, this white beans and rice recipe will allow you to enjoy the authentic flavors of Cajun white beans and rice in only 30 minutes!
- Cook Success Rice according to package directions. It’ll be done in just 10 minutes!
- Sautee your vegetables. Start by cooking your onion for 8-10 minutes until browned. Then, add the celery and pepper and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes until finally adding the garlic and cooking for another minute.
- Add your beans, broth and spices. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice with a sprinkle of parsley.
How to Cook Make Pressure Cooker White Beans
If you have a bag of dried beans hanging out in your cabinet, then you can totally make these Cajun white beans in the pressure cooker! Here’s how to do it:
- First, use 1/2 pound dry Great northern beans or cannellini beans instead of canned beans.
- Also, increase liquid (water or vegetable broth) to 3 cups.
- To start the recipe, saute the vegetables in step #2 in the pressure cooker.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients and set the pressure cooker to 30 minutes on high.
Then, you can cook the Success Rice Boil-in-Bag White Rice while the beans are cooking in the pressure cooker!
More Vegan Cajun Recipes
If you’re a Louisiana native like me or you simply want to sample the flavors of the bayous, and you loved these Cajun white beans, I’ve got a few more vegan Cajun recipes you’ll love:
- Cajun Style Vegan Red Beans and Rice
- Classic Cajun Vegan Jambalaya (based on my grandpa’s award-winning recipe)
- Cajun Tempeh and Rice Skillet
- Vegan Po Boy
- Vegan Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Want more internationally-inspired recipes using Success Rice? Check out all these recipes!
Vegan Cajun White Beans and Rice
Looking for easy vegan dinner ideas? This White Beans and Rice recipe is packed with big, authentic Cajun flavors and is done in 30 minutes!
- 2 bags Success Rice Boil-in-Bag White Rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cook Success Rice according to package directions.
- In a pot over medium heat, add oil. When hot, add onion. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring, until browned. Add celery and pepper; cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring, until tender. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients; stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve beans over rice with a sprinkle of parsley.
Thanks to Success Rice for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands whose products I really love and would honestly recommend. Thank you for your support!