No more sad salads! This Crispy Tofu Vegan Caesar Salad is a dairy-free version of the classic dish with a tangy cashew dressing and baked tofu cubes. Serve it as a side or enjoy it for a meal. (gluten-free)
Let’s keep this post simple because I am tired as hell and Leo is laying on my chest, which means it’s his bedtime. What the cat wants, the cat gets!
I worked ahead a lot this summer so I wouldn’t be so loaded with work when I moved to Colorado and started to get settled. Boy, is present me thanking future me right now. I’m working a little, but I’m really focusing my time on getting my apartment all pretty and plant-filled before school starts.
This vegan Caesar salad is one of those recipes I photographed this summer to keep in my back pocket for a busy week. Like this week when I’m hanging shelves and going to orientation and OMG school starts next week!
Anyways. This salad. It’s pretty simple: a base of whatever greens you want (I think romaine is the traditional choice, but I say do what you want ✊🏼), a cashew-based Caesar dressing, tomatoes for extra veggies & color, and the crispiest tofu cubes that are the perfect protein-packed “croutons.”
I think the salad tastes better when you add the dressing to the greens as soon as you’re ready to eat, rather than letting them sit together in the fridge, but you could do that too. Again, you do you! It stays good in the fridge for about 4 days.
Feel free to add some chopped cucumber, fresh parsley, carrots, red onion or anything else you can find at the farmer’s market right now! I know I’m definitely soaking up all the summer produce, and I’m sure you are too.
Also, this is the way I usually bake my tofu for things like bowls and salads. The cubes are especially good in this vegan Caesar salad, but you can throw them on top of anything!
Crispy Tofu Caesar Salad (vegan & gluten-free)
No more sad salads! This Crispy Tofu Caesar Salad is a dairy-free version of the classic dish with a tangy cashew dressing and baked tofu cubes. Serve it as a side or enjoy it for a meal. Vegan & gluten-free!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salads
For the tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other high-heat oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the salad:
- 6 cups romaine lettuce or mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes; place in a medium bowl. Add oil, Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Arrange tofu cubes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In a blender or food processor, add all ingredients for the dressing. Blend until completely smooth.
- In a large bowl, add lettuce, tomatoes, baked tofu and Caesar dressing; toss to combine.
- Serve immediately. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
*Use a tofu press, or wrap the tofu in paper towels and place in the sink with a heavy object on top.