This Easy Pineapple Fried Rice is a fruity, wholesome version of your favorite take-out dish! It’s a great weeknight meal that’s vegan & gluten-free.
What’s a girl to do when she has 389423 jars full of every type of rice every grown on earth? Make batch after batch of fried rice!
Seriously, that ^^ is a true story. I’m pretty sure I have every variety of rice in my pantry right now: brown, brown basmati, white basmati, jasmine, wild, black, ruby red (who even knew that was a thing?). I mean, not the standard 20-something struggle, but I’ve always been a bit different. 💁🏼
So, to tackle the issue that is my ever-growing rice collection, we’ll be cooking up any & every rice dish I can think of. Sushi burritos, red beans & rice, rice bowls, wild rice soup…and pineapple fried rice!
Ah, the classic take-out dish. Can you believe I was never really into take-out? I think it’s because I’ve never really been a sauce girl, and take-out is always drowning in that sticky-sweet sauce. Nahhhhh, I’ll pass for this easy, done-in-30-minutes, perfect-for-leftovers pineapple fried rice!
But really, this is the ideal meal for leftovers because: 1. it’s good hot or cold, and 2. one-bowl meals are the best to pack in a container for lunch! It’s a no-brainer – just scoop some into a tupperware (I love my glass set!) and you’re good to head out the door knowing you have a wholesome meal ready to go.
If you’re skeptical about the pineapple, EMBRACE IT! It gives it a naturally sweet flavor, so the whole dish is a good mix of salty, spicy and sweet. Embrace the extra antioxidants🍍
Another thing I love about this meal is that it’s easily customizable to whatever you want to add (<– aren’t those the best recipes? you’re welcome). To give it extra staying power and plant protein, add a cup or so of shelled edamame or scrambled/baked tofu (here’s a good recipe for tofu). The scrambled tofu will replicate the scrambled eggs in traditional fried rice! Win. 🏆
Let me know if you try this pineapple fried rice! It’s the perfect weeknight meal since it’s done in 30 minutes and full of veggies, complex carbs, plant protein (with some edamame or tofu) and FLAVAAAA.
Because, let’s be honest, that’s what we care about the most. Enjoy, friends!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice*
- ½ cup corn, canned or frozen
- ½ cup green peas, canned or frozen
- ¼ cup organic soy sauce or liquid aminos
- ½ - 1 tablespoon Sriracha (more for spicier)
- 1½ cups pineapple, chopped (about ½ pineapple)
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Green onions, sliced
- In a wok or large skillet over medium heat, warm a little water or oil. Add onion; cook for 5-7 minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Add garlic, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook for 5-7 more minutes, until carrots and bell pepper are tender. Stir frequently.
- Add cooked rice, corn, green peas, soy sauce, and Sriracha; stir to combine. Cook until the rice is warmed, about 5-10 minutes. Add pineapple; cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve with chopped peanuts and sliced green onion.
**Some scrambled/baked tofu or edamame would make this even more satisfying!
10 Days to Your Plant-Powered Kitchen: A FREE Email Challenge!
Learn the basics of plant-based cooking, pantry staples & more! Get inspired to be your healthiest self through 10 days of FREE emails with helpful tips & recipes!