Burger night just got way better! These Mini Mexican Vegan Sloppy Joes make for a hearty, wholesome, flavorful dinner that’ll satisfy everyone at the table. In partnership with my friends at Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods. ❤️
I can’t remember the last time I had sloppy Joes. To be honest, I never really liked them because I hated BBQ sauce, and everyone smothers sloppy Joes in sweet BBQ sauce. Not my thing.
Thankfully I came around and now enjoy BBQ sauce (I love mine homemade!), but who wants to make regular old sloppy Joes when you can give them a MEXICAN spin?! Cue the endless chips and guac and margaritas! 🍹
For a long time, sandwiches and burgers were a fear food. TWO pieces of thick bread with lots of things stuffed in between??? They made me really anxious, and I hardly ever let myself have a real sandwich. Ah, it makes me sad just thinking about it.
But wait! There’s a happy ending! I’m at a place where I totally allow myself to have a sandwich or *vegan* burger when I want one. Do I still feel anxious sometimes? Yeah. But I realized just how dang satisfying sandwiches are. They’re a perfect balance of carbs, fat, and protein, with some veggies on the side. Hooray for nourishing foods!
Okay, let’s celebrate food freedom with some Mexican-inspired vegan sloppy Joes. 👏🏼
Reasons I love these: 1. they’re freaking delicious, 2. they’re done in 30 minutes flat. Do you need any other reasons to make them?
With onions, carrots, peppers, corn, and whatever you pile on top (I did greens, tomato, onions, and avocado), these sloppy Joes are a surprisingly awesome source of vegetables! Mo’ veggies, less problems. I made them mini because… they’re cuter that way?? You can go the same route with mini slider buns (I used whole wheat dinner rolls), or you can go standard with whole wheat hamburger buns.
So, what’s the “meat” of these Joes? One of my favorite brands ever Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods makes these Chipotle Style Seitan Grounds that are the perfect plant-powered alternative in our sandwiches. Can you believe there’s 27 grams of protein in one serving?! (without any cholesterol or saturated fat🙌🏼) And no animals were harmed! I can’t wait to try this in some tacos, enchiladas, or skillet meals.
The recipe for these vegan sloppy Joes is pretty straightforward: sauté the vegetables with some tomato paste, Sweet Earth Foods seitan grounds, and Mexican spices, toast your buns, and top with whatever your heart desires!
These make a easy, delicious dinner as it gets colder outside since they’re so hearty and comforting! I know you’ll love this fun twist on a classic sandwich.
Just grab a napkin – these get messy! 😜
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup carrots, diced (about ½ medium carrot)
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup corn, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 8-ounce package Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods Chipotle Style Seitan Grounds, thawed
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 whole wheat slider buns (or 6 regular-sized whole wheat hamburger buns)
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, cilantro, cashew cheese, other
- In a medium skillet, warm a little water or oil over medium heat.
- When hot, add onion; cook for 5-7 minutes, until onions begin to brown. Add garlic, carrots, and bell pepper; cook for 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add corn and seitan grounds; break up the grounds with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, water or broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and pepper; stir to combine all ingredients. Cook for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to combine; add more liquid if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve a scoop of the filling on a bun with optional toppings.
Thanks to Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods for sponsoring this post! I love working with brands whose products I really love and would honestly recommend. Thank you for supporting this blog that I love oh-so-much!
10 Days to Your Plant-Powered Kitchen: A FREE Email Challenge!
Learn the basics of plant-based cooking, pantry staples & more! Get inspired to be your healthiest self through 10 days of FREE emails with helpful tips & recipes!